Wanted Farmers looking to get their dairy stock contract reared in 2021
Contract rearing involves the movement of replacement heifers from the owner’s farm for rearing on contract by another experienced grassland and livestock farmer.
With milk production now at levels higher than expected and the numbers of cows growing on most farms year on year the amount of land availability around the milking parlour is placing limits on the volume of milk some farms are capable of producing.
An increasing number of dairy farmers are looking to engage with other farmers to rear their replacement heifers for them. This will release land on the dairy farm for milk production, also with the onset of constraints under the nitrates derogation land availability and stocking density issues are becoming very apparent.
Here at Irish Farm Services we are getting lots of enquiries from ex beef and retiring dairy farmers looking to source dairy stock to rear under contract rearing agreements. We have large numbers of competent livestock farmers looking to rear these stock under various arrangements, from rearing calves from ten days of age to taking on weaned calves and returning them incalf to the owner prior to calving down
Benefits of contract rearing to Dairy Farmers in addition to releasing land for milk production:
- It could free up labour to specialise more on dairying;
- It would suit farms where accommodation is limiting;
- It could suit farms where heifers are failing to achieve the performance levels required.
- Reduce nitrates loading on milking platform.
- May reduce capital investment in calf housing, as contract heifer rearers have some excellent facilities.
- Calf rearing and calf housing will become very much part of quality assurance going forward with strict animal welfare regulations .
We are looking to talk to dairy farmers, well ahead of next spring so we can link them up with competent rearers and have all the necessary agreements in place before the hectic calving season arrives in early 2021.
We specialise in this area and have vast experience in what makes these collaborations work well in order for both parties and there families to reap the benefits.
For more in please get in touch on 0877554200 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org