Contract Heifer Rearers Wanted (Is it for you?)
Contract rearing involves the movement of replacement heifers from the owner’s farm for rearing on contract by another farmer.
Now that milk quotas are abolished and with milk production expected to increase, the availability of land around milking parlours will place limits on the volume of milk some farms are capable of producing. An increasing number of dairy farmers are looking to engage with other farmers to rear their replacement heifers for them. This will release land on the dairy farm for milk production.
We are getting lots of enquiries from farmers looking for competent and interested people to enter into contract’s. If you have good animal husbandry and grassland management skills, contract heifer rearing can prove to be very profitable enterprise.
Benefits of contract rearing to Dairy Farmer
In addition to releasing land for milk production:
- It could free up labour to specialise more on dairying;
- It would suit farms where accommodation is limiting;
- It could suit farms where heifers are failing to achieve the performance levels required.
Benefits of contract rearing to the rearer
- It could provide a steady monthly cash flow;
- The business risks associated with dry stock production are reduced;
- It is potentially more profitable;
- The demands of buying and selling are diminished or eliminated
If you are looking to take on livestock this Season or looking for a Contract rearer, we provide a FREE platform to advertise here at Irish Farm Services, in our Contract Rearing section.
9,183 total views, 10 views today